Early Intervention services are publicly funded and available to children and families in the Alberni Valley and West Coast of Vancouver Island.
Outreach Therapy is part of the Port Alberni Early Intervention Team (EIT), for children birth-preschool age.
EIT partners include:
- Preschool Speech services (provided by Island Health),
- Infant Development and Supported Child Development programs (provided by Port Alberni Association for Community Living), and
- Aboriginal Infant Development and Aboriginal Supported Child Development (provided by NTC as part of the Early Years Outreach program).
This group uses one referral form. The EIT meets weekly to process new referrals and determine which services are best able to support the needs identified for the child being referred.
Early Childhood Mental Health (Infant-5 years)
- Early Childhood Mental Health services use a different referral form. Due to the sensitive and confidential nature of mental health referrals, these forms are only seen by the ECMH therapist.
Where do I send my referal form?
- Completed forms can be faxed to 250-723-7349
- Mailed or dropped off in person to our offices at Hilton Centre at 4325 Neill Street, Port Alberni BC, V9Y 1E5
- Should you require assistance completing these forms, please do not hesitate to contact the centre.
Who can refer and how do I refer?
- With parent or guardian consent, anyone is welcome to refer a child for services. Typically, referrals come from parents, relatives, teachers, doctors & health care professionals.
- You do not need a doctor to refer you, you can call our office and refer over the phone.
- Many of our community partners, including day cares, doctors, public health nurses and other local agencies have copies of these forms and can refer on your behalf.
School age referals
For school-age children, please talk to your child's school based team about referring them for services.